Chicken Broth- Rosół z kury /ˈros̪uw z qoory/ – is one of polish national dishes, and one of the most popular soup around Eastern Europe. Liquid gold.
Just look at that! My mouth gets watery just by looking at the picture. De-li-cious! I consider clear Chicken Broth the most elegant of all soups. It is so beautiful and same time sooooo tasty, you could easily serve it for Sunday dinner or family holidays.
In Polish cuisine broth has a very special place. It is very often served at weddings, and other important celebrations in our lives. My Grandmother called Rosół – ”the Jewish penicillin”, because it is a perfect remedy for a flu, and upper-respiratory inflammation. Implemented to Jewish cuisine trough Central Europe (in Yiddish called ”goldene yoykh” – golden broth). I remember when I was a little girl, always when I felt under the weather or simply ill, my mother made a broth. I loved it, not only for the taste but also colors. It is a colorful and gorgeous soup. Surprise your kid, make funny shaped pasta, and feed your little precious with delicious and healthy meal.
It’s also a low budget dish. It’s made out of very simple ingredients. One pot will serve up to ten people. Meat and broth you could use to other dishes next day. Chicken Broth is a great base for other soups, an idea how to transfer Rosół into the best Tomato Soup ever soon on the blog.
It is not an easy task to make a clear broth. But it is definitely worth to try! It is essential to not produce blanched, frothed water. I hope my instructions will help you to succeed and prepare authentic, stunning in taste, clear, golden Chicken Broth.
Smacznego! Enjoy your meal!
- 1 free-range chicken
- 3 liter water
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large parsley root
- ¼ large celeriac
- 1 small leak (15-20cm/6-8inches)
- 2 yellow onions (with last layer of the skin)
- 3-4 dried bay laurel
- 5-7 berries of allspice (English pepper)
- 6-8 whole black peppercorns
- fresh flat-leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- 1-2 cloves
- 2-3 medium dried mushrooms (e.g. bay bolete, boletus)
- 1-2 nutmeg flower knobs
- fresh lovage
- sea salt
- Prepare a chicken. Check neck and tail area for excess fat. Trim the excess away and discard. Remove the remains of pin feathers. To clean it rinse it with cold water (or put it to cold water bring to a gentle boil and replace the water. Always starting with COLD water).
- Place the chicken in a large soup pot with 3l (3 quarts) of COLD water. Make sure water covers the chicken completely.
- Very slowly bring to a gentle boil and quick reduce heat to a simmer, but do not let pot to boil.
- In the meantime peel all the vegetables, except onions. Onions cut into half, but leave last layer of onion skin, and burn above stove or fry on dry pan till get black. Remove onion from the pan, and optionally fry for few seconds all the spices, carefully to not burn them.
- After around 30 minutes on the surface appears first froth, control temperature and skim the surface frequently. When froth almost completely disappeared add all vegetables: onions, carrots, parsley root, celeriac, leak, fresh lovage leafs cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, cloves, dried mushrooms, allspice berries and black peppercorns, salt and continue to cook until vegetables are cooked through.
- Taste it, (add some salt if needed) when you feel deep taste of vegetables and meat mixed with aroma of spices - it's a sign - Rosół is ready!
- Strain the solids out through a fine mesh straining device for perfectly clean effect.
- Cooked carrots and (if you like) parsley root slice into rings, rest of the vegetables discard.
- Serve with homemade pasta/boiled potatoes, shredded chicken, carrot rings, and finely chopped fresh parsley leafs.
- Whole process takes around 2h hours, if on the way chicken or vegetables are close to overcook but taste is still not there, take them out and continue to simmer.
Boiling instead of simmering breaks down ingredients and render a cloudy stock.
Low and steady simmering brings maximum of taste. It’s a long process. Chicken broth should be left to a simmer for 1,5 up to 2h.
Always start process with placing chicken into cold water.
Simmer broth without lid.
Burned onion with onionskin and dried mushrooms bring golden-yellowish color.
If you would like to skim fat the best is to wait until broth is cold.
Some people, to improve the taste, adding one leave of Italian cabbage and half of beat root.
If in the end you discover blanched broth add a cup of very cold water and bring to a gentle boil.